Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Piece of Heaven


This past weekend I experienced a little glimpse of what I believe Heaven is going to be like!

I went on The Walk to Emmaus. If you are unfamiliar with this, here is the gist of what it entails:

A spiritual renewal program intended to strengthen the local church through the development of Christian disciples and leaders. The program's approach seriously considers the model of Christ's servanthood and encourages Christ's disciples to act in ways appropriate to being "a servant of all."

The Walk to Emmaus experience begins with a 72-hour short course in Christianity, comprised of fifteen talks by lay and clergy on the themes of God's grace, disciplines of Christian discipleship, and what it means to be the church. The course is wrapped in prayer and meditation, special times of worship and daily celebration of Holy Communion.

The "Emmaus community," made up of those who have attended an Emmaus weekend, support the 72-hour experience with a prayer vigil, by preparing and serving meals, and other acts of love and self-giving. The Emmaus Walk typically begins Thursday evening and concludes Sunday evening. Men and women attend separate weekends.

During and after the three days, Emmaus leaders encourage participants to meet regularly in small groups. The members of the small groups challenge and support one another in faithful living. Participants seek to Christianize their environments of family, job, and community through the ministry of their congregations. The three-day Emmaus experience and follow-up groups strengthen and renew Christian people as disciples of Jesus Christ and as active members of the body of Christ in mission to the world.


I can't explain how this weekend changed my life, I can only show you through the way my life will be lived from now on. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend this weekend with my good friend Mike, and it was absolutely amazing to see him transformed right in front of my eyes! I am telling you, this was the best weekend of my entire life, and I am so excited that my wife is going to experience the same thing this coming weekend. I can't wait to embark on our new lives together as a couple who are one with Christ!!!

Thank you Jesus for being who you were, are, and will be forever!

4 comments:

Lynn said...

DeColores!!!! May your "fourth days" be few and your focus remain on Christ!!!!

Joe Rollins said...

Sounds amazing. I can't wait to talk with you about it one on one.

Rebecca Jo said...

DeColores Friend! I went on my Emmaus walk 19 years ago & can still remember the impact it had on me! Its an amazing time! Cant wait to hear about your "walk with Christ" during the weekend! And I too am excited about Dawn going as well!!!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya, the only way to describe it is "the best weekend of my life." I'm thankful I was able to share it with someone I love and respect so much.