Monday, June 23, 2008

Books---They Still Make Those?

I am often taken aback at the lack of interest our young people seem to have in books these days! I have had a lot of conversations this past week about some books that I have read and wanted to recommend, but the main response I get from most of the youngsters that I have spoken with is "I don't read." Not "I can't read," but "I DON'T read."

Maybe it is because I get an enormous amount of knowledge and pleasure from diving head first into a good book, but that comment just floors me! I wish I could come up with a way to prove to all of the doubters that if you stick to reading for a while, it gets easier and a lot more fun. I despised reading in school because I had to! Now, I read what I want, when I want, and I could not imagine living a life without books.

Just to clear the air, I am not "dissing" anyone who does not read. I am just pleading the case for the books out there that can't speak. Their feelings are hurt because they were created to make all of us smarter, and even some of them were created to entertain us! I used to debate with a friend a while back that the book is always better than the movie or show or video game, and I am still right on that one...LOL (Love ya Mike Tolle).


Anyway, for those of you out there who don't read but would be willing to give it a shot, I want to recommend the Circle Trilogy by Tedd Dekker. He is a fiction writer who happens to be a Christian as well. Notice I didn't call him a "Christian writer." That would be like calling your plumber a "Christian plumber." Anyway, these 3 books are titled Black, Red, and White. They are a quick read and are very, very exciting!!! I loved them, and I think anyone who has faith our wonderful God will enjoy them as well. Just give them a shot, and let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I have enjoyed alot of Dekker's works!

And for the record - I know alot of Jr. High kids who LOVE to read! I'll be interested to check with these same kids as they get a little older & see if that enjoyment is still there.

And I'm with you - the books are ALWAYS better than the movies!!!

Joe Rollins said...

I'm like you. The books are better than the movie! I will probably check out Dekker's work and see what he is like. He sounds interesting.

Amy said...

for anyone interested.......I have the books and I am willing to loan them out.

Anonymous said...

Reading is great, when I have the time, but they are always better than the movies!